Thursday, March 30, 2006

A day at the palace

I never thought that I would experience today. At the age of 18 I decided to not finish my Duke of Edinburgh even though I had finished the skill, service, physical and residential sections. I just couldn't do the expedition. I hated them, I had a real phobia of walking. However, at the age of 22 I met Rachael Cooper at the Environment Agency. A couple of years down th line, I have finished the expedition part by doing an exploration (less walking and more exploring and doing a project) and I was invited to the palace. The Equerry in waiting was desired by His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh. Honest to god, that is what it said on the invitation. Well, that's how I read it anyway.

Mum and I took the train to London in our 'afternoon dress' with optional hats but 'all' the ladies where them. Not us. Where would you take your mum in London??? Well, I took mum to soho, the red light district of London. We ate in Chinatown, had a drink in the oldest village inn in London and then it was time to go into the palace.

We were separated from our guests in a huge red room with some grand piccies of kings. Mum did a great job of almost tripping up HRH (that's really what he was called by the officials) by leaving my handbag strap in his way which caused laughter by the whole group...we never blend in. HRH spoke to our group and Rachael explained about her mamouth trip to Kenya. He really isn't renowned for his conversation but we did find it strange when he questioned Rachael on getting out of Kenya...supposidly alive...very odd. He was then confused when somebody explained about their alpine plant migration and he explained how it sounded like the plants were walking...hmmm....maybe all Phil's are like this :)

Lloyd Scott presented us with our award certificates as the Duke only had a few minutes with each group. We had a piccie and as I'm giant like (or Lion proof by default as LM so kindly states), I'm usually at the back but oh no, today I was sat next to Lloyd in the group piccie on a seat that would be too small for a brownie. Lloyd gave a great speech on his adventures (he did the London marathon in a diving suit, rode a penny farthing across Australia and is next doing the marathon in armour carrying a 200lb dragon.

We had a great day, unfortunately dad couldn't attend too becuase of the limit of one adult. My sincere thanks to Rachael for that kick up the bum to finish and to Paula for believing that I could do it even though I had doubts.

4 comments:

vica said...

heyyy, evviva kiwi!

and you thought youre never gonna hike for days, thru pricklies and without many changes of clothing...
now guess whos gonna get invited repeatedly for a few more

"okay lets not have a shower during the trip but bathe in the hot springs"

AND

"midnight dinners of gas burner noodle soup with grass"

AND

"yeah just throw in a change of clothing, i can give you a bedsheet / sari"

AND

"no, ms keela, im pretty sure we drive on the RIGHT side of the road here"

AND

"do we need a passport if we swim to mexico"

AND

"yeah lets ride up the gorge shall we"

types of trips?

you got it, ms lion-proof. you :D

vica said...

ps. dont expect a duke of edinburgh award after each. maybe only the introduction of another new food item to get ya hooked on :P

Keela said...

AND

"would you mind the simple task of handing my thesis in to Cardiff Uni"

AND

"In the absence of bedclothes, use my tiny t-shirt!"

AND

"lets have a foot massage at the rodeo and still feel the vibrations an hour later"

AND

"Soy milk and pineapple in a tin for every meal darlin?"

AND

"we have 10 minutes to get to a place 20 minutes away, just ignore the 38 degree heat but RUN"

AND

"Come up the spiders web Kiwi and I will jump up and down as hard as I can"

AND

"Touch my finger and lets get an electric shock between us"

AND

"No hair band, use my roll mat elastic"

AND

"Kiwi, can I spit on you while you are trying to help me?"

AND

"shall we use the internet to work out how to put on a sari?"

AND

"take your swimming costume to the land Kiwi (Hungary is landlocked!)"

AND

"Kiwi, I know that I live in the US, but I'm in Hungary now, you live in Bristol but are on holiday in Ireland but could you take our friends on a tour of London next month"?

AND

"Why don't we take the saucepan with us?"

types of trips???? Be warned friends of Ms Vica...you will never be the same again ;)

Anonymous said...

enough of all your chat. marion is wearing a lovely coat but I bet she got cold feet!