Saturday, March 04, 2006

Women on planes :)


Why did people think it was odd that by 10pm the day before my trip, I wasn't packed yet? I finished packing at 1am and then got up at 3.30am because I was just too excited to sleep. At 5am I was on the bus to Heathrow but didn't see one part of the journey through sleeping. Heathrow was on high alert which is quite disconcerting when getting on a flight so it took an hour to get through security without shoes and belt.

I have some strange phobia's, one of which is a phobia of sitting in between people and where was I sat? In the middle of a row of 5! Luckily I asked to be moved and somebody was looking down on me. I was sat next to the smallest woman in the world! Rosa from Guatemala wanted to talk to me for the entire 10 hours, held my arm when going up the escalator and I stupidly volunteered to help her with her bag that must have weighed more than her! The flight was pretty uneventful apart from a few wonderings of why you always get chicken or beef on flights, why do the airline crew call me maam when I'm not in the military and how can anybody join the mile high club in such a small toilet! I only ever use the toilet on planes for emergencies only (10 hour flight constitutes emergency). Also, did you know that its US regulations to stand up on planes? US regulations to not have your seat belt on, US regulations to use electronic equipment, US regulations to not smoke in the toilets....US regulations.

At US immigration I was given the wrong customs form and spend a long time with the security guy working out what it said. What an entrance.

I met Andrew, Amanda and Chloe at the exit, it was so good to see them again an the years just dropped away. We drove through some very very nice neighborhoods to their home where I spent 12 hours sleeping :)

No comments: