Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Talk to the tourist

We managed to detach myself from South Beach and I spent the day at a Renaissance villa and planetarium. Vizcaya Villa was only build in 1914-16 but the exterior and interior is so diverse with Renaissance, classical and rococo pieces that it sends your mind off in all manner of directions, still remembering that it is only from 1914. The building, furniture, stone barge that acts like a breakwater and the gardens are all quite amazing. Again, I had to leave the building because I was too cold and had to stand in the sun to warm up.


Question for today, why are toilet doors so high in America? A woman actually came into the toilet and to check they were used, looked under the doors at the legs :(

Question number 2, why do people where shorts, socks and trainers? Its obviously hot so why the socks and trainers?

I have now sussed the eating thing, order 2 side orders and its enough so for lunch I had mac and cheese and a bagel. The next stop was to the Science museum and planetarium. Unfortunately they were between exhibitions so I only got to see the shows, wildlife and planetarium. Although very interesting, I did have a show on electricity just for me. I was sat in a big auditorium with just the speaker. But I do know more about electricity now :)

I know I'm odd at times but I enjoy things that tourists find annoying, one being that I like to work out how public transport works. In a city where public transport is an oddity, I wanted to use it. After a hike to an overpass because I wasn't going to cross a 6 lane road, through an overgrown sidewalk, then no sidewalk, I got to the metrorail. Then the fun of buying the ticket, going i the right directions started. I changed onto the metromover which is a free monorail around downtown. I had to go around twice because the first time I was chatted to constantly by a very interesting homeless guy. I got off to get away, got on another and met another homeless guy, got off, go on another. 2.5 times around the monorail and then thought it was time to get off. Its a good way to see downtown though. I spent a couple of hours at Bayside shopping and then back home.

No comments: