Friday, March 10, 2006

4 Jamaican's and an Alligator Tail


What a day, Andrew and Amanda kindly took the day off and we went to the Everglades. Its been a childhood dream of mine to go through the everglades on an Air Boat like the scene from 'Only Fools and Horses' and we did it. It was just as I imagined it to be, incredibly flat, reeds, sprawling with wildlife and fast airboats.


We arrived early at the Billie Swamp Safari so went around the mini zoo first looking at the Alligators eating raw chicken. I know my vegetarianism sways depending on what country I'm in but seeing an Alligator eat raw chicken, ummm. There were 8 of us on the airboat, the first challenge was to get the ear plugs in my ears. For such a big person, I have very small ears so this was no small feat. The worst bit was when they expanded in my ears. :(

We sped around the swamp looking at Alligators and wildlife with our guide who did his best. We should have known at the start when he asked where we lived and answered by saying the capital city. "ah, Canada, capital Ottawa", ah, you four are from Jamaica, capital Kingston" Today I was Jamaican. I really should have said I'm from Burkina Faso. (Portsmouth - I do hope you remember the capital Ouagadougou)

For lunch we had Gator tail, seriously tastes like chewy chicken covered in batter. We drove back to Miami and I swam in the pool in the sunshine. I really really love it here and sad to leave. They say that time goes fast when you are having fun, this had gone by the speed of light.

No comments: