Sunday, December 09, 2012

Iceland wedding: Northern lights false alarm and how the other half live




Ring ring ring, the phone was going off at 1am to tell us that the Northern Lights were showing. Half asleep we donned snow gear and rushed outside, stood there for an hour, looked at a great sky of stars, including shooting stars....but no Northern Lights. A lazy morning of wedding planning, then to make the big journey from the Northern Light Inn to the Blue Lagoon...all 1km of it. We were greeted by a host for our 'Couples retreat' package but were late, so we rushed into our personal changing room, on with the robes and off to the exclusive lounge. Trouble was, we didn't see the flip flops and had to walk over quite a few bridges to get to the massage area. Our feet were burning by the time we got there, and burning even more when they hit the warm water.

I'm not exaggerating but it was te best massage I've ever had. You had to lie on a lilo, be covered in a warm blanket in the water, she kept dunking me under to keep the blanket warm. I was on my back and it was so good I didn't have a clue on who I was, what was my name, or where I was...Ali had to wake me up, I was in a trance. I think it was the rocking of the water, mixed with the massage, it sent me to sleep.

We sat in our Exclusive Lounge, with private door to the pool, ate the lovely fruit, had coffee and chilled by the fire. Then were were off for a wander around the lagoon, monkey style as always. Ali donned a silica mud mask, I watched. We relaxed in the warm cave (we feel like Blue Lagoon regulars), went in the sauna that scared the life out of us when the water entered the chamber...if only our reaction was filmed. We had 4 hours in the Exclusive Loungue and gosh it was worth it.

Next in the package was dinner in the Lava restaurant where I had spinach lasagne which was the best lasagne I've ever had, Ali had langoustine then for dessert I had chocolate ganache which was intensly wonderful.

An unforgettable day, we love Iceland so much.

No comments: