Sunday, December 16, 2012

Iceland Wedding: A boat, the conga, photobooth and everyone we love in one room






It was a little surreal, but the day of our wedding reception, we were shopping in Cabot circus. Then hair and make up while Ali was in the gym. Jodie was my fairy godmother, my curls had fallen out but Jodie saved the day. We walked to the Ostrich, past my nan’s old flat, then boarded our boat with our photographer. We sailed around the docks for a bit, then it was time to sent the text to Aunty. We were asked if we wanted to stick our heads out the roof so we elegantly stood on a chair, and waved at our guests looking out of the window at Bordeaux Quay. Then we turned around and did it again. This time we needed more height so we were actually stood on a table for the second time! We waved as though we were the Queen’s of Bristol. Jumping off at Millenium Square, we walked to Bordeaux Quay to have photo’s with family, then walked up the stairs. 

We picked up a glass of Champagne and then looked back. Everyone was clapping and my face dropped! There was so many people there cheering us! We spoke to everyone in the room, so flabbergasted that everyone we know and love was in the same room! The photobooth was in full swing while we mingled, with my Aunty as project manager doing a great job. Then it was time to cut the cake, a chocolate extravaganza, with a map motif around the outside of all the countries we have visited together. Each of the chocolates were the ones we adore, and inside a chocolate fudge cake, with a middle cake of vanilla, with red heart in the middle! We cut the cake, felt soft when we had to kiss for a very long time when cutting the cake! Then it was time to cut the cheese, our cheeseboard of 85 difference cheeses! Brigitte and Carol excelled! 

While our guests ate, I worked my way through the cheeseboard but alas had to stop at 30 as I felt ill. Then it was time for my speech and the thank you’s. A thank you to CLP for our fabulous cake, to Brigitte for our cheeseboard, or all our parents for being so amazing (they each received a framed photo from the Iceland waterfall freezing cold waterfall session), then Alex was called to receive his ‘I love amino acids’ hoodie. I asked that everyone joins us on the dancefloor for our first dance because we don’t want to dance on our own. Nobody knew what to expect, but then the music started…the conga. Ali had one line, I had another. Confusion started when we didn’t have much space to pass, and Kirsty and Sadie joined my line. It was hilarious, and at the end of the song, Ali and I met and kissed! The second song was gandnam style, a favourite in Iceland! 

Lots of dancing, lots of photoboothing, lots of smiles and hugging followed. We had the most amazing night, with the music we love, with friends, family and everyone we love in the same room. I even did oopps, upside your head on the floor…again. The last two songs were Christmas tunes, ‘All I want for Christmas is you’, then time to pack up, Ali and I were the last to leave. We sat in the room on the sofa’s, reflecting on what an amazing 5 year anniversary we had. Then, time for my project manager to take us home. I’m going to miss the wedding planning, but I couldn’t have asked for anything more. It was the wedding of our dreams.

No comments: