Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Iceland wedding: the day I marry the love of my life












The start of the morning was a bit rushed, with a quick trip to the hairdresser in the local town. Unfortunately, we were running late but I had a great present. Hugrun, our wedding co-ordinator who is at schoo in Reykjavik this week was in reception to help with the day. It was like Christma, no worries in the world anymore, Hugrun knew the wedding back to front, inside out. From then I was chilled, chatting away with the local hair dressers and trying to pronounce the name of the famous volcano. Back at the hotel for make up and then on with the dress. I felt like Cinderella, Aunty had to put my shoes on for me.

Tom was first to arrive for some pre-wedding snaps, and I won’t forget the look on his face. Then dad arrive and I had already told him that he wasn’t allowed to cry, or he would set me off. Then it was time to walk down the aisle, slowly as the song ‘songbird’ by Eva Cassidy played. Half way down the paparazzi started, then I joined Ali at the front. Having to give Dad a kiss on his head first of course. We held hands, Elisabeth welcomed everyone, then Jen read ‘the art of marriage’ poem that we found in Sandringham. Phil then read a very personalised ‘saga’ about us meeting, our families and friends. We had our vows, said ‘yes’ instead of ‘I do’ by mistake, the rings given to us by Olivia and Caitlin and then the kiss, and exit to the song ‘defying gravity’. 

We then greeted everyone, had fruit juice and canapés, and went to the waterfall in the car. Getting me in the car was like an episode of Gypsy weddings with netting everywhere. At the waterfall, the coat was off and I started to turn to ice, it was so cold. We had our pictures by Seljalandsfoss, then onto the bridge. Trouble was, it was so icy. I went up sideways, and could hear the giggles but then everyone else had to have a go, then they saw why I had my technique J It’s all on film. By this time I was turning purple so it was back in the car, heating up to 30 degrees and back to the hotel for hot chocolate and Skyr cake which we love. The chef did such an amazing job, they looked amazing. 

Then started the quizzes, dingbats and crosswords all about Ali and I. The horns won against the rattles. Off to our suite for a break, some more pictures, then it was back to the room for pre dinner drinks and the dinner of salmon, chicken and then chocolate cake. At the starters we were on one table, main course we were on another, then dessert on another. Phil made his speech, by telling everyone the story of my name, the kayaking in Jamaica and Amanda’s wedding. Everyone was in stitches. 

We danced our first dance to ‘I’m sexy and I know it’, followed by march of the mods which all of my family did, then gangnam style. Half way through, Aunty announced that the Northern Lights were outside so off we went, snow trousers under my dress and coat on..so elegant. They really shone, Ali and I stood in the car park, amazed at how lucky we are for the Northern Lights to shine on our wedding day! 

Back in the warm, more dancing. By this time, we had Gangnam style down, we conga’d, agadoo’d, music manned….then ‘oopps upside your head’ with me at the front of the boat. Is it a Bristolian thing? Brigitte and Carol did ballroom dancing which was stunning, then Phil and Cous Cous had an ‘American Pie’ style dance off. It had to be seen, it was absolutely hilarious and something never to forget. In between dances, we watched the Northern Lights. All day, I just kept seeing Jemma with a video camera and tripod, doing an amazing job for us. 

At night, we asked everyone to leave their shoes outside their door for the Icelandic yuletide lads to drop some treats in, if they have been good. My parents took it to the extreme, there must have been 12 pairs of shoes outside their door! So, on our wedding night, while everyone was asleep, the yuletide lads crept through the corridors delivering treats…and cracking up at mum and dad’s doorway of shoes, including the slippers from the room!.

No comments: