Friday, July 22, 2005

Tapsi Hapsi :)

Welcome to the diary of my 5th visit to Hungary (or tri-annual visit according to some:)).

The trip started without hitch which is miraculous with my track record. However, this was the first week running that I drove to the airport but this time it was for me. Sometimes I realise what a small world it is. I was sat on the plane and just as we landed I noticed a head two seats in front of me. The head really looked like my friend John and I had a giggle to myself as I was wondering why I know the back of Johns head so well but then it turned out to be John!!!!!

It was such a strange flight over and I actually resorted to asking a group of guys ont he bus whether I was on the wrong bus and the women-only bus has left without me. There was just 2 girls on the bus, all men. There were only 4 women on the flight which was bizarre, Budapest has become the stag do mecca.

Dzsini met me at the airport with a bear hug and a smile at the arrivals hall. As we were going to the centre I had such a strange feeling of not being abroad, the different language, different appearance didn't affect me at all, it was so natural (advice on hungary addictions greatly appreciated.

My back was releived when I dropped my backpack off at Gabi's appartment and the last thing Dzsini asked was whether I had my waterproof coat, I didn't so it then tipped down within minutes but Dzsini loaned me his waterproof tent. Our first stop was to the ampitheatre and it rained and rained and rained. We were trying to fin Aquincum museum and asked a postman directions. You would have thought he would know where to go but after walking a bit and then a bit more we resorted to the tram.

Aquincum is a very very large roman settlement with large baths, town hall, craftsman's houses. Fact of the day, the romans fattened up snails to eat (finom, yummy)

Margrit Sziget (Margaret Island) was our next stop where we met Gabi at the musical fountain, it honestly is a huge fountain with speakers around and the fountain corresponds to the music. Here is a health warning for anyone who goes on a walk with Dzsini and Gabi - if you go to the island take a form of transport with thee like a camel, 5.4km isn't a short distance after a days sight seeing. But it was great and the island even has a joggers spongy path.

The evening was spent watching a silent movie in front of the parliament with a piano. I could not tell you the story but the dubbing we made with stories of the online family, harry potter, dating in cemetaries, mass dating and a gay kiss was much more fun :)

No comments: