Friday, September 10, 2010

Brigitte's Borneo Birthday





It's birthday day! Birgitte's 60th birthday. We sneaked to her room, decorated her door and threw balloons into her room as we sang happy birthday. We had the birthday breakfast and then boarded a very air conditioned coach to the orangutans. We viewed a video on palm oil and the orangs, and then walked up to the feeding platform. It was so humid that it looked like I wet myself, the water was pouring off us like a waterfall. We saw 4 baby orangs, 3 year olds. It's amazing to see how they can use their feet. They are dubbed the 'man of the forest' and you can see why. They are so similar to humans that nobody could doubt the existence of evolution after seeing them.

The feed was amazing, they looked just like old men. Reggie was incredibly shy but then if I had 70 people watching me on a platform, I think I would be the same.

Back on the coach we sang happy birthday to Birgitte and then had lunch at the pool. Our afternoon treat was to the spa. Our mums had a manicure around the side of an indoor pool with gorgeous fountains and loungers. Ali and I had a couples massage and it was without a doubt the best massage I've ever had. When we came out of the room, it was like I was out of my skin, I couldn't function at all. We had a steamed ginger massage, so was massages with the ginger. In the changing rooms there were jacuzzi's, sauna etc...it was just heaven.

I watched the sunset with the grey clouds coming ever closer and then we had dinner. We are getting used to going to dinner with an umbrella. The food was gorgeous and we called the restaurant for a cake for Brigitte. Wonderful birthday.

No comments: