Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The best meal of my life





Back in the car and it was time to say goodbye to Reykjavik. We drove to Pingvellir with my multiple maps (none of our road maps covered the entire area so I had 3 on the go. One of which kept changing the position of North, who would do that? Some of the time our map was upside down, some sideways.

We walked through Pingvellir, where the first parliament was held, past a waterfall, cememtary and up a very steep footpath as we tried to avoid the ants (tourists). We drove to Geysir, lunch and watched Stokkur explode every few minutes. It was amazing, how it bulged and then exploded.

We visited the volcano exhibition which boomed but the best news of all, we found a road map!!!! I can’t explain my excitement. We drove to Golfoss, a double cascade waterfall. We walked along the top of the fall and then sat on a bank watching the ants.

Onto Hotel Ranga, the only 4star hotel in Iceland and we were given the Australia suite! With balcony, Jacuzzi bath, surf board on the wall, night sky on the ceiling and black out curtains 

We walked through the hotel in our rolbes and slippers to the hot tub and watched volcano Hekla. I had the best meal that I’ve ever had in my life. Polenta and beetroot with mushroom sauce, skewered chicken and wild mushroom risotto and mint marinated cucumber, brownie and pistachio with blueberry sorbet. It was amazing! And I don’t like mushrooms.

Jacuzzi bath after dinner, then to bed in the dark.

No comments: