Saturday, September 19, 2009

My last day in my twenties, with the pandas











My last day in my twenties and what a day to spend looking back at the last decade. After a 2.5 hour drive, we arrived at the panda sanctuary. Boy panda’s are referred to as a playboy as they mate and leave. If a panda has twins, one of the babies is abandoned and they only stay with mum for 1.5 years. They are very solitary animals and hate each other, apart from 3 days a year when they can mate, but they are really picky. It makes you wonder how they exist.

We visited Ya’an panda sanctuary as Wolong was hit by the earthquake and being reconstructed. Two pandas died in the earthquake. What’s amazing about the sanctuary is that they aren’t in cages, it’s all open. We watched 1year olds playing in the trees, through tyres, sticking their tongue out and playing with each other. They were just so childlike. We saw the 2 year olds asleep and a 1 month year old in an incubator, they were so cute!

On the way back to the hotel, the whole coach was taught how to sing happy birthday in Chinese and Bob and I were sang too.

I tired to use the internet in the hotel but alas, facebook and blogs are banned in china.

At the local restaurant, the lights were dimmed as a very large cake came out and mum started crying. She had arrange it with Lillian. The whole group sang to me and Bob in Chinese, and even the Chinese were singing. We cut the cake, had a cocktail and that was it, my last day in my twenties.

No comments: