Sunday, September 20, 2009

My 30th birthday











I really couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t wait to get up and celebrate my 30th birthday. At 8:45 I opened my door to find balloons and banners had been taped to the door overnight and mum, Jo and Brigitte were singing loudly. I opened my binoculars and earrings and then headed to brekkie where my chair was beautifully decorated with balloons and banners and all of my pressies and cards. The balloons and banners even followed me on the coach!

We went to the hakka community where I was bought a head dress of flowers to wear so I really stood out like a sore thumb. We walked though the long street of shops, with some horrible smells and multiple street ventures with all types of meat on sticks (I didn’t partake alas). Astonishingly, babies do not have nappies on and their baby grows don’t have a bottom, they just go where ever they are!

I only wore the head dress for half a day before it was starting to look a bit drab, but we had lunch and then more shopping but Ali, mum and I opted for starbucks. By now, I hated Chinese toilets because they smelled like mens toilets. Our plane was 2 hours late this time, and unfortunately mum was between me and another big guy so couldn’t move. We watched the coach clock as it turned over to the 21st of September, 264 days until my next birthday. The luggage arrived at 1am (Ali was asleep for an hour by then), then we had just 6 hours sleep.

No comments: