Saturday, March 07, 2015

What brings people to Antarctica?

A full two days at sea awaits. Yesterday, as soon as we left Stomness Bay, the swell hit us and this lasted for 24 hours. It was so chopping in the night that I feared falling out of bed so I used pillows to create a barrier. The constant moving just doesn’t stop. In the morning I sat on the observation desk sorting pictures and Deck 7 was constantly covered in water from the waves when we dipped into the trough of the wave. It was a roller coaster ride lasting a very long time.

Back to lectures, we started with a talk on ducks and although I find the speaker absolutely fascinating, the sea sickness tablets makes me drowsy so I had a morning nap. I was determined to not have an afternoon nap, for fear I will spend the whole trip asleep. Ali woke me for lunch, another lecture on seals, editing video time on the super comfy seats and then it was time for dinner. So all we did today was move around in the swell, eat and sleep. We have been moved dinner tables and nobody every joined our table, however we have been put on the grumpiest table ever. They spent the first night criticising the company and how they will never use them again. Life is what you make it. 

Today though, I pondered why people are on this trip. I’ve asked everyone we met. Many are cruise enthusiasts and find it intriguing to go on a cruise to Antarctica. Some are here for wildlife, quite a few are here to tick the 7th continent off their list of places to visit. I haven’t met another explorer enthusiast as yet…

No comments: