Sunday, March 15, 2015

Out of the bubble into the hustle and bustle of Buenos Aires







I stayed in bed pondering all of the sleeps we have had on board. The sleeps in the Drake Passage when I did nothing bud sleep. When we were in the hurricane off Deception Island I had to put pillows either side of me as I feared falling out of bed, the boat was so rocky that night. We had a last few hours in our Hurtigruten bubble. The bubble which tells you what to do, and when. No thinking required. Soon, we would be thinking for ourselves, surrounded by people and hustle and bustle and wanting to go back to the bubble.

Luckily we moved our taxi to 9am so we were able to have a leisurely breakfast and casually leave the ship. Many left early, we watched over the balcony and waved to everyone. I had a little tear in my eye, we had all been together for the last 3 weeks. I walked around the ship, said goodbye and thank you for the most amazing trip. Then I discovered that all cabin doors were open, so I took the opportunity to have a nose at every cabin type. Especially the super expensive suites

It was time to go, we went down the gangway to the transfer bus and that was it. Through the cruise terminal, then out into the big wide world. However, a huge ship docked at the same time. It absolutely dwarfed our ship. Unfortaunetly, they were exiting at the same time so we left our tranquil bubble and entered a really noisy and busy taxi area. Back at the Duque hotel which is incredibly small and guess who we saw having breakfast, two Hurtigruten guests. We aren’t entirely out of the bubble.

We spent the morning loving the internet, oh I’ve missed it. We jumped on the metro and went to Cathedral. Buenos Aires is so familiar now, we walk down the street as though we are at home. It’s a Sunday so it meant we could go into Casa Rosada for free. So we did. The English tour group included a coach load of American guests though so all we wanted to do was run away. We did get to see the famous Evita balcony though. Coincidentally we met Jean and Douggie too so went back to CafĂ© Tortoni for a spot of lunch and another submarino.

We walked down the longest street market I’ve ever seen in my life. This is how I imagined Buenos Aires, the smell of barbeques, people dancing the tango in the streets etc. The market sold everything you can imagine. A slow walk back, then dinner in our favourite pizzeria, then bed. What a contrasting day, from bubble to hustle and bustle.

No comments: