Friday, December 13, 2013

Iceland: Storms and the bridge over the waterfall, minus the ice







What a stormy night! Gale force winds, the doors and windows were being pounded by wind all night long. It was incredibly noisy. The weather in Iceland is so unpredictable, overnight, most of the snow has melted or being blown elsewhere. It has also gone up to 4 degrees. Yesterday we were driving through deep snow and being blasted with ice, today, the road is clear.

Our day started with an amazing massage. We talked non stop, about Icelandic Christmas, about the Yule Lads, about Icelandic horses. The lady also said my English is very good, I immediately told Ali, who thinks I sound like a farmer. I also met Hugrun, our wedding co-ordinator from last year. It was so great to see her again, I think back to a year ago, it was so good to see her in reception on the day of the wedding. She came back from Uni in Reykjavik, just to be there for our wedding. I'm also soooo going to miss the Ranga breakfast! We dream of coming back to Ranga every anniversary, we just need to win the lottery.

We headed over to Seljalandsfoss, the waterfall where we had our photo's last year. However, this time, it was really warm! There wasn't even ice on the bridge which I was so elegant on, hooking my dress between my legs to climb sideways up the rail! Jemma did well to film people getting back over the other side. Even though the bridge was fine, the footpath today was an ice rink. Thank goodness for gripeys. They are definitely coming to Antarctica with us.

On to Skogafoss, then back in daylight for a change. In the evening we enjoyed the Christmas buffet, 80 courses! I got to 30, Ali got to 33 before we had to retire to stretchy trousers. What a meal, I even ate Reindeer but trying not to think it was Rudolph.

No comments: