Monday, November 07, 2005

Polish kebab

12 hours sleep and my legs still ached but we had breakkie without an argument! Today we got on public transport to get to our destination. However, polish people must have very very short legs because I couldn’t physically fit my legs in the seat so I had to take up all three!. Mum says I’m cheap, I call it economical J

Today’s trip was to the Wieliczka Salt mine. We were guided through the salt mines down 394 steps which ends up making you feel quite dizzy. Each of the sculptures was carved from salt by the minders. The sculptures of Princess Kinga, a Hungarian princess and the Pope are especially good.

The St Kinga chapel is a vast chamber with a chandelier of salt crystal. Opera, sports, weddings and new year parties are held in the chapels. Mum went back to the surface while I went into the museum, big mistake. We had to use the miners lift because the tourist one was being checked. We were bundled into a very small lift without doors and sent up the shaft at a very fast speed, in pitch black darkness and only seeing the occasional light pass. Mum screamed apparently.

It was a regular occurrence on the trip to sleep for a few hours before dinner and today was no different. I blame it on the fact that it gets dark at 3.30, it feels like its dark for hours.

It was mum’s choice for evening meal so she went for something very polish, a kebab :)

No comments: