Saturday, November 05, 2005

Krakow and a plate of roast potatoes

Oh I do love the low budget airlines. This weekends trip was to Krakow, Poland.

Our day started at 3am on a cold Saturday morning. At 6am we were at Gatwick, checked in and had a 4 hour wait until out Central Wings plane left. I was horrified int he airport to find that they already had their christmas decorations up. Mum made full use of the smoking cubicle which always amazes me how the smoke doesn't escape as they are no doors.

I throughly recommend Central wings, they even give you a sweet on the landing (I'm easily swayed by food). We arrived in Krakow very weary and not knowing how to get on a bus, a simple thing in your own country but it takes ten times longer when you don't know stupid rules like having to pay for your luggage! Why! After a very worried bus journey (becuase I knew I hadn't of paid for the luggage but mum didn't) we had a long walk to the hotel where we found out that we had to be relocated to another hotel. So, we used our 5th mode of transport for the day and got in a taxi for a 5 minute walk (we weren't paying)

First impressions were that Krakow is a very rich country and has more colour that Warsaw. I was in Warsaw in 2001 and I remember greyness and being stared at beucase my friend has a rainbow coat on.

The environment is so bad in krakow that we were charged climate tax!!!!! 1zl per person, per day which meant about £2 for the whole time we were there. However, the steel companies make a fortune and the people have to pay for the privilage of being covered in acid rain?

Mum unpacked while I documented what she had brought for LM purposes. One kettle, one hair dryer, tea, coffee, milk, a bag of toiletries that was bigger than my whole clothes allowance for this trip, 2 pairs of shoes, 5 travel adapters and one phone charger. However, only 2 sets of clothes (as per my orders) :)

I must be getting old becuase I had a nap while mum unpacked and had a 'first'. I dreamt that I was sleeping. I have never done that before, bizarre when you wake up ad to what is reality.

Dinner consisted of us having the exact same meal (a trend that followed the entire trip, can you tell that we are related?) Polish cheese board, leek soup and then my mistake. I ordered potatoes with bacon and onion. Little did I know that I would be served a big dinner plate of roast potatoes and thats it!

No comments: