Friday, September 20, 2019

Budapest - My 40th birthday







It's arrived, my 40th birthday. The day started with my little family singing Happy Birthday and opening cards. I found an artisan macaron café which was a short walk from our apartment so we had breakfast there of great coffee and macaron's. At Chez Dodo, you watch them being made in the window and eat in lovely surroundings, with Rebel Girls pictures on the wall. If I was going to have a café, Chez Dodo is exactly what I'd like to have as a business.

We visited St Stephen's basilica and Reyka was mesmerised by the orante ceiling. It's more stunning than I remember. Reyka loved wandering around and smiling at the tourists. I lit a candle for mum to say my thanks to her. After all, I didn't do anything on my birthday, they should really be about our Mum's.

Our lunch stop was at the New York Palace for an afternoon tea in an incredibly luxurious surroundings with a Hungarian folk music group. Reyka was asleep for the whole thing. What we did find confusing was that there weren't scones! One layer of rolls, two layers of cakes. But they did give us wonderful fresh orange juice.

We took a taxi to our next stop for the birthday day of non surprises (I organised the day, so it was a day of surprises for Ali really). It as a fair way out of town to the start of the Children's Railway. It's a railway completely run by children. They do the ticket office, the conducting, the signals. There are justa  few adults to supervise operations. It's really surreal to see children conductors, children saluting the train, children as the station managers.

Off we went through the countryside in Budapest. It was so refreshing to be out of the city centre. Reyka enjoyed chugging along the tracks. A surreal but wonderful thing to do. I have always been intrigued about the Children's railway so very happy to have done it on my birthday.

Back at the apartment we were shattered so had dinner of some other favourites of mine. Cottage cheese chocolate and chimney cake.

No comments: