Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Budapest - Back somewhere familiar





When deciding where to go for my 40th birthday, I had a brainwave, back to Hungary. A country I've visited many times, back to the city where I spent my 22nd birthday while inter-railing in 2001, and back to somewhere where I have a very very very limited vocab.

The trip didn't start well. I had not been able to get out of bed for the last 5 days due to awful tonsillitis. So, I was actually packing for our trip in the morning of the trip! I had never done that before. For Iceland, I had started packing two weeks before we left so I didn't forget anything. So I felt awful, we were late leaving, awful traffic and then we were diverted which increased our journey time even more!

 Strangely, we parked in exactly the same space as we did for the Iceland trip a few weeks ago. We got through security without a hitch and headed for the Aspire Lounge. It was ok, quiet but the food wasn't that great this time. I wouldn't book it again, this was just a treat for my birthday.

By this time, my head was pounding and I felt awful. Ali left me at the gate and ran back to the terminal to get paracetamol. Then they called for families to board first! I had everything, Ali was running back to the terminal and I had her passport! She ran back, just as the last group were boarding so we completely missed priority boarding  which added even more stress to the day.

By the time we arrive in Budapest, I had had enough for my first day out of bed so we treated ourselves to a taxi from the airport. I have never ever had a taxi from the airport but for £21, it was definitely worth it.

We were late landing but had a reservation for dinner at Hungarikum bistro so pretty much dumped our bags and headed out the door again. Goulash, duck leg, chicken crepe in paprika sauce, gnocchi, apricot cottage cheese cake and apple strudel. Yum.

Back to the apartment for a well earned rest after a huge day. 

No comments: