Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Scotland - Palace of Holyrood House






My last day in Scotland and a quick trip around Edinburgh. The drive to Glasgow train station was interesting, to see all of the 'yes' signs and banners. The train to Edinburgh is so easy from Glasgow and cheap, compared to how much it costs from home to London. A powerwalk to Holyrood House, it's further than I thought. I love a good audio guide to walk you around the palace.

The abbey has been incorporated into the house and it strangely reminds me of Balmoral on the outside, but the inside was decorated by Victoria who brought lots of tapestries, so it's quite dark. Very different to Sandringham which is super homely and Balmoral which has tartan. I spoke to one of the guides about a circular mound in the garden, it was an old rubbish heap that Albert asked to grass over!Time team has recently buried into it.

On the walk back, I had a quick stop over at the Scottish Parliament which was full of journalists and media stands being erected. A quick coffee with Jennifer, sit in the first class lounge, then back home in first class and afternoon tea. What a trip...I can't wait to hear the result of the independance vote.

No comments: