Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Paris: trip down memory lane

A morning to myself while Ali and Brigitte visited Ali's grandmother so I had a trip down memory lane. While on my trip around Europe, I walked to the top of the Arc de Triomphe for some great views across the city so I thought I'd do it again. However, I had forgotten that it has 284 steps to the top! After a few days walking in Paris, my legs don't know what's hit them. The view from the top was amaizng, on such a sunny day, I could see for miles and miles to the Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur and the business district. On the top, I checked me clock, to my surprise it was already 11:30 which means just 30 minutes to sprint down the stairs, down the Champs Elysee, through the park and to Madeleiene to catch the cheapest tour bus.

I was on a mission, the sweat was pouring on one of the hottest days of the year, and I made it with minutes to spare. Put it this way, I was the only one that stripped to my t-shirt ont he top deck of the bus in March while everyone else had hats and scarves on...that's how fast I walked to get there. The bus consolidated everything we have seen by foot, Opera, Madeleine, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Invalides, grand palace, theatres, Arc de Triomphe again. I do like a good bus tour for the commentary. This time, a casual stroll back to the hotel to meet Ali and Brigitte.

After lunch and yet another creme brulee, time for a nap before heading out to see the Eiffel Tower at nightime. I'd hate to think how many pictures I have of the tower now. At night it glows, and on the hour it sparkles for 3 minutes. We ate a crepe while looking at the tower and strolled back to the hotel passing the place where Princess Diana died.

No comments: