Monday, March 19, 2012

Paris: Montmatre, Moulin Rouge and the Lido

Paris is definitly the city where you walk. After breakfast of croissant, chocolat chaud and pain, we were on our travels again. First stop was the palace and although it had guards outside like Buckingham Palace, you can't help thinking they are cheating, they are in a box with glass doors! Wonder if it's heated? Then off to Opera and Madeleine, two gorgeous buildings. We continued our trek to Montmatre, but first to the Moulin Rouge. I remember the area from last time, and it hasn't changed. Not the usual place you walk with your Mother in Law ;) Then it was up, up, up to Sacre Coeur with a stop off for French onion soup and crepe suzette for dessert. I've been to Sacre Coeur a few times, but this was the first time i went inside. It's very ornate, free but no photo's alas. What goes up, must come down so on route we stopped off at the Montmatre cemetary which I've tried to see a few times and it's worth the stop. I don't often say a cemetary is a thing not to miss, but the tombs are really ornate and it's very peaceful. We walked back to the hotel, stopped off for a creme brulee and then rest before the Lido.

I really didn't know what to expect in the Lido, I knew it was much more up market than the Moulin Rouge but my only view of that is cancan and the film with Ewan McGregor! So after my favourite meal of bread and cheese, we went into the glittery entrance of the Lido, met by men in dickie bows and shown to our table. There was sparkle and chandeliers everywhere! A singer was seranding the people that had just finished their dinner and encouraging people to dance, it was like watching the start of a wedding when people were unsure to get up so instead stare at everyone else!

Then the lights dimmed, the chandeliers dropped to give maximum viewing and then the show started with a bird dance. I had to double take, and I might be naive but I didn't expect the amount of boobs to be visible! I had no idea the women would be walking around with a couple of inches of clothing on and feathers all over the place! The show was fantastic, especially the diablo, the horse, the waterfountains, egyptian pyramid coming up from under the stage and acrobat on the silk ropes. But I'd have to say my favourite was a puppetier come illusionist, dress all in white. At the end it looked like he took he head off, I have no clue how he did that. At £70 for a glass of Champagne and £12 for a peach juice, the Lido lives up to it's reputation of wealth and glitter.

No comments: