Saturday, August 13, 2016

Who buys a scarecrow at a services?






A holiday is well overdue and this time we chose Northumberland, as recommended by David and Jeannie. We seem to edge towards places without people, when everyone else is going South for summer, we head North. As always, the doggies have more luggage than we do. It was a simple journey to get onto the A1 and not stop for 6 hours, then just 10 minutes off the A1 is our cottage. On route we stopped at the services for Sailor and Penny and as always, I wonder why services sell wetsuits and I wonder who buys them. Today's unusual object to buy at the services was a scarecrow! Do people honestly buy them? I guess so, or why would they sell them?

We said hello to something I've never seen before, the Angel of the North. Much bigger than I thought it would be. We also passed Brownieside. I think I should live there.

We arrived at Gardeners Cottage in Chillingham all safe and sound. The 4 stone cottages are in a square in the countryside, without mobile phone signal...exactly what we need. Our welcome pack included tea, coffee, bourbon biscuits and pinot grigio! Chillingham Castle is down the road, alas it doesn't allow dogs so we won't be visiting. The cottage is modern, has a woodburning stove and a first, we can't drink the water as it's from a spring. Exploring Northumberland awaits.

No comments: