Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Patrons Lunch - a truly memorable day










When I put in my application for the Patrons Lunch public ballot, I thought we had no chance. You can imagine how surprised I was when I received the email that we got tickets. Excited wasn't the word. I had hoped to dress for the occasion but having looked at the weather forecast of heavy rain all day, I went semi smart and Ali went in full waterproofs that we wore in Antarctica!


We got to the Mall and joined the queue. We had a great chat with the Scottish Dancers and then the rain started. Luckily we were given a poncho so I went for double protection with a waterproof coat and poncho. The rules were pretty strict, no umbrellas, no flags and bags smaller than 30cm by 15 cm. We were also given a Boots wellbeing bag of plasters, wetwipes, lip salve and sun cream! PG tips gave us a special edition cup and saucer. I then understood the rules on no luggage, we received lots of luggage while there! Through security, we then picked up our weighty M&S hamper from our station, Clare Balding and Michael Fish walked past us and I queued for the free tea tent.


Still rainy and then it got heavier and heavier. We were sat right by the central aisle for the parade. We set up camp and sat in the rain for over an hour but it didn't dampen our spirits, nothing could. Nobody was starting their picnic but we didn't have breakfast so it was like school breaktime, we tucked into our picnic before lunchtime.


Sandwiches, salad, watercress pate, cheese and biscuits, pims, butterfly cakes, water and a lovely trifle. Oh my gosh, the hamper was amazing and worth all the hype on TV. I'd pay very good money to have that hamper again. We saw the dress rehearsal of the parade. Everyone was in ponchos which was a little surreal.


I sat on the mall, eating my picnic and was just thinking about this once in a lifetime event. The free Walls ice cream was a nice treat, in the rain. Then, out of nowhere, the rain stopped...just in time for the Royal Family! They were scattered throughout the mall. As we were in the public section, they didn't reach us, but Princess Anne came pretty close. Then the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh came out of the palace and stood up in their car. They slowly drove down the Mall. Oh my, the Queen has the biggest smile on her face.


During the speeches, the Queen made a joke about loving the cards and messages for her birthday, but if she is still enjoying it in December, remains to be seen! Everyone laughed. They then went back up the mall in their call, with the Duchess of Cambridge, Duke of Cambridge and Harry behind them in another card. What a treat!


We then had the parade, without the ponchos this time. We spotted the RSPB, Cancer Research and Girl Guiding! We didn't want to leave the Mall, the atmosphere in the rain was fantastic. We walked up the Mall to Green Park and I reflected on what a truly memorable day we were part of. A once in a lifetime event.

No comments: