Saturday, June 25, 2016

London Pride - the first time Girl Guiding marched











I love pride. I love the atmosphere, I love the history, I love the meaning and I love the crowds. This year I decided to march with Girl Guiding UK. Emma, travelling Brownie and I boarded the train to London and had a quick stop to take pictures at Guiding HQ. We met everyone inside the newly opened Guiding HQ, donned our very bright pink t-shirts, picked up banners and packed our bags full of gifts for the crowds.

We all caught a bus to the start line. It was rather surreal and I did feel for the rest of the people on the bus. They were inundated with over 50 guiders wearing bright pink and carrying placards. The downside of pride is incredibly long waits until we start off. Before we set off, we walked up the parade route to see the other walkers.

Then we were off for a fabulous march through central London, blowing whistles, people shouting ''girls can be proud' (the slogan on our t-shirts). Then the goosebump moment, half way through the route, the red arrows flew overhead with their red, white and blue smoke! It was an amazing thing to see. Then who should be behind us, Sue Pollard from Hi-de-hi! Emma was a red coat and joined Butlins because of hi-de-hi so I asked her for a selfie.

We completed the march, said our goodbyes and then watched the end of the parade and screamed loudly when I saw the Civil Service.

I still love pride but to be in the first group from Girl Guiding was extra special

No comments: