Sunday, April 13, 2014

Scaring Michel Roux Jr during the London Marathon






Ali has completed a few marathons but has yet to get a place for the London Marathon again, so instead, we went to cheer everyone else. We got to Canary Wharf just in time to see the elite women sprint past. London was heaving, there were people everywhere. We found a good vantage point but alas it was in the shade and we didn't realise we would be stood there for over 3 hours, the time flew by. We saw Richard Whitehead, Paralympic athlete, the elite men and then the noise went up ten fold...Go Mo!!!! The muscles in his legs were so pronounced!

I loved the posters and supporters that went to lots of vantage spots. My favourite poster was 'we've literarlly JUST seen Mo Farah, run run!'. We saw a pink lady apple, tiger, the classic rhinos, wind turbine, bottles, almost naked man, someone with a fridge on their back, a trainer, Thomas the Tank, elvis and a lighthouse. A friend from scouts was running so I was looking out for him. Oh my gosh it's so hard to spot people but I found him an shouted like a banshee.

Michel Roux Jr looked petrified when he was directly in front of me and I yelled his name. The man next to me said that I knew a lot of people, I loved shouting peoples names. They would smile or say thank you. As the time went on, the crowd dispersed and people looked in serious pain. A quick café rouge stop and then we cheated and got the tube to mile 23 and walked to the end. We were mainly with walkers as they had been going for about 7 hours by this point. Some were limping and in so much pain. Alas, most of the mall was covered by spectator seating so you couldn't see the finish very well but we had completed the last 3.2 miles and then played dodgems with people to get to the tube in time for the train.

I had a glimmer of a ridiculous thought that i'd like to complete it, but now I've thought twice.

No comments: