Friday, January 25, 2013

Honeymoon – Deserted Hong Kong airport







We arrived into Hong Kong at 4:30am local time. It’s quite odd walking through and empty airport, knowing that in a few hours it will be buzzing with throngs of people shopping before their flights. It was just us and maintenance staff. The longue wasn’t open so I surfed while Ali dozed. Using a Chinese keyboard was interesting, but what was really surreal was that I was shopping on amazon, while sat in Hong Kong, having just gone from Christchurch to Sydney. I’m having to stop thinking of what day it is, what time it is because it’s confusing me. 

The showers in the longue were amazing, and just what we needed. A huge room, all the toiletries you could want and a big white fluffy towel. This flying long haul lark isn’t so bad.  I can’t bring myself to eat dim sum and Chinese food at 5am though so that element of the buffet breakfast will be missed.

On plane 3 of 3, with an upstairs to first class. Alas, it was an old plane with old business class so the seats faced the other way, you could see others in business class and the seats were smaller. The new design is much better but hey ho, we could still stretch our legs. 13 hours of naps, snacks, food at random times of the day, multiple films and then we were in London in a daydream. Heathrow express, tube in rush hour and then a packed commuter train home. To cap it all off, the taxi we booked picked up someone else instead of us, and then it happened a second time. 25 minutes of waiting and we were finally home. The UK is covered in snow, Ali had to defrost the car to pick up the boy. I love travelling, and opening Christmas cards in December but it's so nice to have our family back together. 

2 comments:

weeboysmum said...

Really enjoyed my wee trip down memory lane, courtesy of Ms Keela - thank you. It's the little things you forget like the campsite ducks : ) I noted them in my journal entries all the time!

Keela said...

So pleased you like it, I really miss writing it everyday, and really missing the campervan :) Trying to persuade Ali we need one of our own, I'm not winning at the mo.