Saturday, January 12, 2013

Honeymoon – 4WD, kiwi, gondola and feeding the sandfly population










Oh my, I forget what hostels are like but an all boy dorm in the morning isn’t the best when they had kept us up from 3-4 am drinking outside our window. Sadly, whitewater rafting had to be cancelled. I was asked if I wanted to do it, but it was on the quick river, I’d have to be a very competent swimmer and it hadn’t been rafted yet…I don’t think so. This morning, the third of my sandfly bites have swelled, so much so that I can’t bend my forth finger which isn’t great. They love me, I’m feeding the sandfly population. Trouble is, it doesn’t hurt for 24 hours, then swells for 24 hours, then goes down to a red painful bubble. I have a conveyor belt system of them at the moment. 

So instead of rafting, I joined Ali on her heritage 4 wheel drive trip into skippers canyon with our guide Dale. It was great, but I’m glad he was driving. There were sheer drops beside us, and it was apparently a 2 way road! People live in the canyon, and expect to be cut off from civilisation throughout the winter months until they get into town again. The views were spectacular, apparently one of the most scariest road drives, we saw the pipe bungee, old gold mines, went over a suspension bridge and had tea in the village of skipper, now restored by the Department of Conservation. I do love the New Zealand tradition of morning tea. After tea, we went panning for our own gold but all we found was dust and I got a very wet foot. A great trip. 

In the afternoon, we visited the kiwi birdlife park and saw kiwi’s for the first time. Thank you to Snowy owl, Sally, Olivia, Caitlin, Grandad and Norma. We saw lots of birds, and the feeding of the kiwi which was fantastic. As they are nocturnal, the keepers have changed their day cycle, so we saw the kiwi foraging around. They are much bigger than I thought they would be. We then went on the skyline gondola for a great view over Queenstown, many thanks Jermiane! We watched the luge, were amazed at the view of the lake, then took the skyline gondola back. 

Sadly, the steamship had to be cancelled due to the flooding so instead we drove to the motel. However, I fell asleep on apparently one of the best drives in New Zealand…

No comments: