Sunday, September 16, 2012

Great North Run - an adventure for us both






Waking up in halls was strange and hitting my arm so many times on the wall made me realise I don't suit single beds anymore. A shower in the tiny ensure where the shower is pretty much over the toilet, which is under the sink. We went for breakfast in the large dining hall, similar to old school halls. I felt a little out of place surrounded by very thing people in lycra. We were coached into Newcastle and I tried to hide my cold and surpress the coughing. En route we passed the Angel of the North.

It was quite a trek to the baggage buses, passing lots of people in costume. Apparently there was an everlasting smell of deep heat but I couldn't smell a thing! We passed Denise Lewis interviewing, and then stood in the longest toilet queue I've ever seen for 3 portaloo's! Over an hour, then Ali had to sprint to the start line as it was about to start. While queuing we were entertained by numerous men weeing in the bushes, and women concocting tents with their space blankets. In just an hour I saw a lot of bottoms!

I stood on a hill waiting to spy Ali, in the 55,000 starters! There were penguins, a mobility scooter, a gingerbread man and miraculously I saw Ali!!!!! We walked together to the start, I was walking over a line of clothing and space blankets abandoned over the fence and then she was off. Thus started my journey, walking to the metro, which turned into queueing for a bus becuase i went out of the wrong exit from M&S. Then I was just 2 people away from getting on the bus, to be told it's the last bus and I have to get the metro! But something good came from it, I met Hayley from Darlington, we then stayed together for the next few hours! While queuing in the Metro queue Lesley from Scotland joined us and we became the 3 musketeers. Lesley asked how long Hayley and I have known each other....20 minutes! The three musketeers waited for each other through paying, took on a relay when dodging the slow coaches after the metro. We had a real giggle and laughed all the way. There were people that had finished the run, and walked back to the metro before we even arrived!

Ali finished the Great North Run and was at the baggage bus even before I arrived! I must say, their advice for runners is fantastic but support for supporters is schocking! Ali and I found each other, she jogged all the way and looked the same as when she left! I told her my adventure, and how my legs were hurting :)

An epic adventure for us both. Ali did her journey in 2 hours, 22 minutes, mine was over 2 hours 37 minutes!

3 comments:

liszi said...

Well done Ali. I cant believe you were sos near only 8 miles from my home. You could have had a bigger bed and much better food! x eliz from Galapagos

Keela said...

Oh gosh Liz, of course. We booked our accomodation only a couple of weeks ago and were really struggling to find anything below £200, I can't believe we didn't think of popping by! That would have been lovely.

How are you?

Liszi said...

we are both fine. 6 weeks to our Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore rail trip. I am so excited. Other Liz will be too though she never shows it, unlike me!
Heavens to Betsy. If Ever you travel here again please use our spare room. Prices are just so high and you could have had that money for a different adventure. X