Saturday, September 15, 2012

Durham - You're a wizard Harry





I'd always wanted to visit Durham, and as it's the cheapest accomodation within an hour radius of the Great North Run, it was our abode for the evening. It's strange staying in halls as an adult, we were in separate en-suite rooms, we had toiletries like a hotel, but a kitchen that you wouldn't want to touch. There was ood left in bowls on the dining room table and our corridor was a strange mixture of runners, students and elderly women at a conference. In search of dinner, we walked down an endless hill, passed a lot of punks with huge hair outside the students union and into Durham centre with it's cobble streets. Inside Durham cathedral I had strange deja vu of seeing it somewhere before, and it twigged! Harry Potter. I then had 'you're a wizard Harry' in my head on a constant loop.

There were multiple places to eat, but so many of them were full. I didn't mind where, I couldn't actually taste anything so I ordered chicken with chilli. Having the effects of chilli without the taste is an experience. After dinner, we walked back up the hill, attempted to use the TV in the kitchen but it didn't work. The remote was sticky! So, it was bed, in our separate rooms by 8pm.




No comments: