Monday, December 12, 2011

Our pre-wedding anniversary

What was meant to be a nice relaxing dinner last night turned out to be interesting. We decided to go to a resturant in Hella, 10km west of hotel ranga but you have to imagine the roads, no roadlights, you are pretty much in the middle of no where. So when we left the restaurant there was a lot of snow on the road but I couldn't understand why ali was driving so badly and putting her foot on the break! However, as soon as we got off the snow onto the road I realised it wasn't ali's driving, the breaks had frozen on so we were skidding all over the place. We could go backwards, but no forwards. After I had a go, we walked into the petrol station to find out if they knew anything about cars...nope. So, we asked them to phone the operator, to phone hotel ranga, who then picked us up in a transit van as all of the emergency details were in the hotel.

A quick phone call to the hire company, then our keys were picked up by a mechanic and we were told our car would be back tomorrow. Writing this is sounds so easy, but we were a bit stumped when we realised we didn't have any contact details for the hotel, for the hire car company and we were in the middle of nowhere. All's well that ends well, at 9am the mechanic brought our car and we drove him back to his workshop and we were mobile again...with a warning to never put the handbreak on. The picture of Ali in the car park was taken before she went flying, a cartoon legs in the air fall.

Off we went to visit the registrar for our meeting about the service and what we need, it's exactly a years time when we get married. In the afternoon we loitered around the hotel doing wedding planning but that was way too grown up so we decided to get in the hot tub. On with the swimsuits, bath robes and boots :) and out into the snow, however, it was absolutly freezing. By the time I got in, Ali had frozen solid so ran back in. I put my hat on and lasted one round of bubbles and then Ali came back out in her snowsuit to help me out. I needed it, as soon as I got out the wind froze my towel into ice!!!!

On with the snowsuit and then we had a walk around the hotel grounds to the river to see an amazing sunset (the sun is only visible for 3 hours a day so sunrise and sunset are pretty close). To combat our sensible morning, we made snow angels :)

As it's exactly a year until we get married, we splashed out with a meal in the hotel. Last year I said it was the best meal I've ever had, and today's beat it. Vegetable soup, Chicken and corn 4 ways with Skyr sauce and Skyr cake...heaven.

2 comments:

Your movie guru, Richard said...

wow, can't believe your breaks froze! This was my intro trip trip to Iceland
Heating Up Iceland- Fire + Ice let me know what you think :)

Keela said...

Hi Richard, I really like the blog, especially the question/answer style. I see we have been to similar countries, I look forward to reading the other countries too, especially Syria. I had hoped to get there last year but due to the problems we went to Istanbul instead. Hoping to get to Israel this year so will be ready your blog posts on Israel too.