Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Reflections on Galapagos

Well, what you don’t ever think about when you book a holiday is how long it will take to get home. We left the islands on Sunday, had a night in Quito with altitude insomnia again, then on a plane to Guayaquil, one of the most dangerous places in Ecuador, then onto Madrid, then to Heathrow, then to Bristol and then eventually back home on Wednesday. Coming home is always the harded part, you don’t have anything to look forward to but working to earn the money to go away again.

I’ve never been to a place where I’ve almost been brought to tears when leaving. The truth is that I loved Galapagos and I often get asked which destination has been my favourite, but I think Galapagos has to win hands down. It has the best of everything that Ali and I love, the environment, the wildlife and the complete isolation. They also have the respect for the environment that I wish the rest of the world has. It just goes to show how humans have affected wildlife too when you visit an island where the wildlife just consider you as another animal, not a threat.

We met some wonderful people on the trip. We were the youngest by 20-30 years with an approximate average age of 60-70, and we loved it. Our group of 6 was fun, we ate together, laughed at the dynamics between different groups that have formed. We accidentally got the wrong tickets before we left as we had Peter and Graces tickets, but you can’t help but think this was meant to be as we have ended up being friends and look forward to seeing them soon. Who else would loose their luggage, loose two teeth and still be positive and smiling? They joined us when no-one joined Ali and I on our dinner table, and we shared so many giggles together.

Yes, it’s the most expensive place I’ve ever visited, but it was Ali’s dream holiday and she loved every second. Just one dream holiday to go, to Antarctica.

No comments: