Friday, August 01, 2008

Full and standing vs. First class


Best laid plans and all that. I thought it would be a great idea to drive to Exeter, then get the train to London with Ali. What actually happened was a very different story. I had a battle with the mass exodus of caravans heading to Cornwall and then swap public transport to a bus. I must admit I'm not a regular bus goer and I now know why, it cost £1.60 for 3 stops! (uphill). I was going for the biggest number of travel methods today becuase after a walk to St Davids station, we waited for a very delayed train that constantly said on the screen 'full and standing'. Great! I bought my ticket a month ago but wasn't able to get a seat reservation. Ali's ticket that she bought in the week had a seat reservation and it was in first class! So we travelled to London, 3 carriages apart but luckily I found the only non reserved seat and there was no way I was going to the toilet for fear of loosing my seat.

Continuing my multiple forms of transport, we used the underground to get to our hotel that doesn't have reception staff, just computers! With no time to spare, we dumped our bags and went back to the tube for a very very crowded tube to the o2 arena. Last of the big spenders, dinner consisted of a package sandwich that we ate in front of all of the posh restaurants. To say that the o2 arena is huge will be an understatement. The concert was amazingly spectacular and definitly catered for the 'audience'. At the end of the night we pretty much slept walked to the hotel.

No comments: