Saturday, July 01, 2006

I was the Queen on Concorde

Why oh why did they ground Concorde? Today we visited Concorde at Filton airfield in Bristol. Little do people know that Concorde was designed and made in Bristol. Her first flight from Filton was April 1979, my father went to see her fly. As she is based on the Airbus site we had to be bussed to her. She is spectacular. Volunteers show you around in small groups. Not one for being at at the back I got seat 1A. Purely by chance I was sat in the seat that had formerly been occupied by the Queen, Joan Collins and Princess Diana. Fran (who sat next to me) was in Joan Collins' handbag seat. This amused her greatly. We were talked through what would be served on the 3 hour flight to New York, what you got for your £3000 ticket, who flew on her, you were allowed only 16lb of luggage etc. We even went to see the captains hat which is always stored in a crevasse. What did surprise me is that Concorde stretches during the flight. We were allowed into the cockpit. It really was an amazing day and I can't put it into words. I really don't understand how we can go backwards technologically speaking. Everybody must go if they get the chance. http://www.concordeatfilton.org.uk/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how do you no she is a her not a he