Sunday, January 15, 2006

Go Mall!!!

Jo is an angel, she really is. She asks me when we are waking up the next day and doesn't flinch when I say 7.30 :) From Spiddel we drove through villages where the signs were in Gaelic only. The best we could do was match up letters to the signs and learn the caution signs. By the way, Go Mall means slow down in Gaelic. That or it means incredibly bumpy road, I couldn't tell you how bumpy the road is in Galway but next time I drive there, I'm wearing a sports bra.

So off we were, driving along empty roads through stunning scenery of mountains and bog lands with Jo as my PA, taking pics, taking dictation for my travel diaries, giving me drinks, map reading and chief Gaelic translator. One thing that really confused us is the traffic lights, they are upside down! Red at the bottom, green at the top. This did result in us going through roadworks on a red light, oopps.

I cannot describe the journey but imagine mountains on one side, Atlantic on the left, a narrow road, a radio programme on fiddle playing and a rainbow going into the beach. One thing that did concern me in Ireland is that everything is in km instead of miles. Along the roads the limit was 100!

565km from leaving Shannon, we were back after a fantastic trip which will be repeated again and again. Shannon airport was bizarre, it was invaded with the US army that took over the whole bar, all 200+ of them with their nice short hair, muscles and tan ;) It was quite confusing sat waiting for the plane surrounded by the army, in front of us was the US border and customs and then above us was christmas decorations. Where were we????

I have to share the following information becuase I was bored on the plane. In an emergency and you land in water, you have to take off your glasses, earings and dentures! Also, you don't need a passport to get into England but you do to get in to Ireland!

We will be back to Ireland again and again and again.

No comments: