Sunday, October 09, 2016

Cornwall - St Neot, Jamaica Inn and Tintagel Castle









A very comfy night sleep was awoken with the sound of farm machinery. I don't mind being woken up that way. A cooked breakfast set us up for the day and then it was time to head to St Neot. It's a tiny little village with a lovely church and super hilly. I'm not sure there are any similarities with St Neots whatsoever, but travelling Brownie enjoyed it.
Our next stop was Bodmin Moor and Colliford Lake for a little walk before lunch at the Jamaica Inn. Famous for Daphne De Maurier. The Shackell's have strangely never visited, after so many trips to Cornwall. We first went to the smuggling museum and saw the vessels they used to hide that goods in. We watched a video on smuggling in Cornwall and then went into the bar for a fabulous carvery lunch. Sailor and Penny laid out on the floor with everyone leaping over them. Luckily, they don't care. Jamaica Inn even has a horse park for you to tie your horse up. A quick visit to the Farm Shop for Cornish coffee and chocolate and then Mum and Dad headed home.

We then headed to Tintagel Castle, an English Heritage property. We are definitely getting our monies worth. I've visited before but I don't remember the steep decline and then huge incline up to the headline. I must have wiped it from memory. The dogs were fine and walked over the bridge to the headland but alas the steps were too steep for them to reach the top so Ali and I took it in turns. I realised I took the same picture that I took last time I visited Tintagel Castle 11 years ago!!!! Sitting with the doggies in the sunshine, look at cliffs and sweating was an unexpected thing in the middle of October. It was boiling.


No comments: