Saturday, February 21, 2015

Heading South




What a fabulous way to start a holiday, having your hair cut. I hate washing my hair after a haircut and like to push it as many days as poss until I do, they dry and straighten it so nicely. So, wearing the same clothes for 2 days in a cramped plane was an idea setting for the new hair. Catching a flight at 10pm is rather nice, we spent the daytime packing and sorting, a quick dash to the station, underground to Heathrow and then a quick Wagamama’s before boarding. I love and hate Terminal 5, I love the efficiency, but hate the use of glass walls…everywhere! When we were going on the transit train to the next section, all 20+ of us stood in the lift for quite a while before I asked ‘did anyone press the button’. I wonder how long they would have lasted if I wasn’t there.

The plane was in a 3,3,3 formation, everyone dislikes those middle seats, but having book this trip 2.5 years ago, I managed to wangle the only 2 seater at the back of the plane. Before boarding, curiously we sat at the gate with the closest seating ever, so much so that the lady behind Ali had her head in Ali’s back. Ali did a very British ‘excuse me cough’ but the woman wasn’t budging, it must have been comfy.

We had the torture of walking through business class, then premium economy, then our seats but hey ho, we did have a giggle when the cabin crew came around with the customs forms, one per family. We hesitated for a crazy amount of time, then looked at each other, she repeated ‘are you family’ and I hesitated and said we were married. And then she gave us one form. We wet ourselves laughing, in those seconds so many things went through my head.

No comments: