Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sun walk - Walking around London in a bra








Getting to London at 9am on a Sunday is interesting, trains take 3.5 hours because of engineering works! So, instead of a 1.5 hour journey to Hitchin, we drove half and hour. I can categorically say that I was the scruffiest I've ever been in London, wearing my shorts and t-shirt ready for the walk. The tube was interesting though, it was a game of spot the bright pink hats, and all of us doing the knowing nod.

We sat on the ground while everyone warmed up around us. We just tried to avoid the sun. What amazed me was how many men were there, in their bras. Then, the hooter sounded, we were off on a half marathon, through central London, Ali wearing a bra and shorts, me with a t-shirt under my decorated bra. We walked through Battersea, Millbank tower, down to Blackfriars, back up to Big Ben, Royal Albert Hall. I gave Ali a sightseeing trip en-route. Going past the London eye was interesting, becuase we didn't have a pack of walkers through us, and it was rammed. We had quite a few strange looks.

Overtaking other walkers was fun, except when I had to stop for something to eat and the 82 year old, the oldest person in the walk, overtook us! Duting the start of the walk I was Ali's pacemaker, during the end Ali was mine. Good team work. We got to the end in 3 hours 50 mins, feet were a little sore, but the flip flops and medal at the end were just what I needed.

No comments: