Saturday, June 10, 2006

Our first conversation

At 7am on a Saturday I was on the train destined for London. Laci, Timi and Dori arrived in England on Friday and we met in their hotel. At 9am the temperature has reached 23 degrees :( We first visited a child's idea of heaven, Hamleys toy shop. What a place, the toys were displayed by people and Dori's face just lit up and didn't drop until she was told 'no elem' )no batteries) for her bubble maker.

We next visited the Tower of London and watched a 62 gun salute in honour of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh's birthday. 4 cannons were fired 62 times, much to Dori's dismay as she has her hands over her ears permanently. We saw the Crown jewels, walked the walls and went inside the towers. At this point Dori felt the need to mess up my hair and was fascinated by the shape of my skirt. So much so that every so often she would lift my skirt up. Try explaining that one when you don't speak the same language.

Our next trip was to the Tower Bridge exhibition where you can walk across the sky bridges. This is when Dori and I had our first conversation -
"Szia Keela"
"Szia Dori"
"Ahhhhh"
"Szep"?
"Igen"
"Igen, nagy szep"

What a conversation :)
"Hi Keela"
"Hi Dori"
"ahhhhh"
"beautiful"
"yes"
"yes, very beautiful"
Dori and I then decided to say "Szia" every few minutes becuase we could both understand that one. I'm just hoping she wasn't saying it to mean 'bye' ;)

We ate in China town where Dori misunderstood me for 'China'. Keela and Keena (Hungarians will need to say it to find out what I mean:)) sounds very similar.

So after a very very long day we all slept very very well.

No comments: